Sunday 16 October 2011

My grail.

Of course I collect Carbo memorabilia, and have for the past four years.  There's not a whole lot of stuff anymore that I don't have -- some things, like my Kraft Drawings poster and Nescafe mug, I've waited the whole four years to obtain.

My holy grail is a Carbo game-worn jersey -- but being unemployed, as I currently am, leaves that particular item elusive to me.  (Which has been quite frustrating at times.)  I find the subject of game-worn memorabilia fascinating.  What better than a piece of history that your favorite player actually wore on the ice?  The puck marks, stick slashes, and board burns are evidence of that player's drive and passion to play hockey.

I would treasure any Carbonneau gamer, but if I had my choice, it would have to be one like this:


This 1995-96 home Dallas jersey sold in a Lelands auction in 2001.  What I find annoying about discovering this item is that had I been a Carbo fan at the time, I had a job then and the means to bid.  Argh!  Anyway, I digress.  

A close friend, who herself is the biggest fan of the goaltender Manny Legace, noted to me that it's interesting how we place different meanings on certain periods in our favorite players' careers.  For me, I value Carbo's years in Dallas most.  Why?  Because in 1994, he was abruptly traded from the Canadiens, a move that I can only imagine caused great upheaval for his family, as well as nearly convincing him to retire.  Guy played for a year in St. Louis -- a season that was shortened by a lockout -- before being placed in a waiver draft in October 1995.  On the eve of the 1995-96 season, Bob Bassen was injured, the Stars needed a center, and general manager Bob Gainey traded for his former linemate.

Which led to five more years of hockey, and another Stanley Cup.  Imagine if Guy had never gone to Dallas -- his daughter Anne-Marie certainly would never have met Brenden Morrow, a union that has blessed the Carbonneaus with three grandchildren.  It's funny how things work out.  Some things are just meant to be, I guess.

To this day, Carbo is one of the most beloved Dallas Stars alumni.  After his retirement in June 2000, fans so strongly wanted his #21 to be retired that the Stars placed a moratorium on the number being worn the following year.  I personally noted that when the Stars asked their fans on their official Facebook page who was their favorite Stars alumnus, many named Guy.  It is that drive, that passion, as well as the way Carbo always conducted himself off the ice -- always a gentleman -- that makes him so loved and admired.

The jersey pictured here is my favorite style worn by Dallas.  The jerseys worn by that team in the '90s were simply beautiful.  But it is for a bigger reason that if I had my pick and the cash to spend, a Dallas jersey would be my Carbo gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment