Monday 3 June 2013

The Shift, 15 years on

Fifteen years ago tonight, this happened.  In Game 5 of the Western Conference Final against Detroit, on June 3, 1998, our hero played an amazing shift in the final minutes of the game, and scored the tying goal which sent the game into overtime which Dallas eventually won.  Detroit would eliminate the Stars two days later, but it was a sign of what was to come for the Stars the following year, and in my opinion it was one of Guy's finest moments as a Star, and in the final years of his career.

I wrote this of the Shift in 2011:

1:25 remained in the third period, and Detroit was leading by a score of 2 to 1.  To make matters worse, it was an elimination game for the Stars.  The fans in Reunion Arena in Dallas seemed to accept that their season was over.

38-year-old Guy Carbonneau, however, did not see it that way.  His name was on the Stanley Cup twice and his career was ebbing.  But he did not accept defeat.  He fought and he scrambled, first knocked down near the end boards yet still keeping the Wings from clearing the puck.  Then he got back on his feet to receive the puck and make an impossible shot towards the net.

The score was tied.  Jamie Langenbrunner would score in overtime to win the game.  The play was vintage Carbonneau, never-say-die hockey.

I did not see this play until a decade later, yet it remains my favourite moment.  Carbonneau has been an idol and a personal inspiration to me, for many reasons other than that night in Dallas.  So much so, that in fact, I decided to immortalize him forever on my body by getting his autograph tattooed on my shoulder.  I wear it with pride.

I did, and still do.  Carbo's heroics on the ice are not, and will never be forgotten.



Further reading:  from Diane Lau's tribute site, her take on The Shift, from 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment